Pages

Sunday, June 10, 2012

The Taming of the Shrew

The Taming of the Shrew is a comedy by William Shakespeare. While I wouldn't say it's laugh out loud funny, it definitely has quite a humorous tilt to it.

The way that Petruchio tames Katherina (the shrew) was so funny to me. He basically took her catty, cruel ways and turned them back on her. She was basically forced a taste of her own medicine and she found she did not like it. But he was doing it in a way to make her a calmer and more obedient wife. He did not want her to be completely silent, but he wanted her to be less contrary.

The only part I didn't enjoy of this play was the very beginning. I didn't understand the point of having this be a play that was presented to another set of characters. The whole introductory act was something that I could easily see cut out of this and it wouldn't affect the humor of the play. But that's just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment