Friday, October 30, 2015

Dream Doctor

The second book of this series wasn't as amazing as the first, but it was still enjoyable. I think because the dreams were all over the place and the characters were sort of struggling to fill new roles (or we were introduced to new characters altogether).

I'm still enjoying the characters, Sara in particular. She's witty and strong, while struggling through something that most people wouldn't even come close to understanding. I just hope that this series can keep up its track record and I can enjoy these characters for a little longer.

Monday, October 26, 2015

Dream Student

I often go into my free reads with low expectations. This was another. But it was a pleasant surprise.

This book was engaging and interesting without the inanity that I often find in books of similar structure. I'm looking forward to continuing with this series.

Friday, October 23, 2015

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

This was an interesting little read. While it's short, it packs quite a powerful tale in just a handful of chapters.

The book is different than the many depictions of Jekyll and Hyde that are out there, but in a sense, somewhat the same. The story is above all the story of man's duality - the good and the evil. Hyde is purely evil. He is composed of all the evil impulses that Jekyll has, but instead of being able to rein those impulses in, Hyde fully feeds into them, going so far as to commit murder for no reason other than because he could.

I enjoyed reading this story.

Thursday, October 22, 2015

A Tale of Two Cities

I really enjoyed this book. It's kind of hit and miss with these classic novels that have been popular for a crazy long time. This was a hit.

Granted, before I actually sat down to read it, the only thing I knew about the book was the famous opening line. I didn't know any of the story, what the plot was, who the characters were, none of it. I went into this book blind.

It did not disappoint me at all. Dickens created his characters in a way to make them endearing (or hateful depending on what character we're talking about). By the end of the book, I truly cared about Lucie, Doctor Manette, Charles Darnay, and even Miss Pross.

Not only where the characters amazing, the story was engaging. It takes place over two centuries ago, but the way the book was written made it feel like the events of the French Revolution and the Guillotine happened not too long ago.

Overall, a very satisfying book.

Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Moby Dick

I have to say, I did not particularly enjoy this book. In fact, the word I would use to best describe it would be tedious. I probably only really like 15% of the book total, while the other 85% could have easily been taken out to make the story actually passable.

There is so much of this book that is utterly unnecessary to the story of Ahab and Moby Dick. Heck, you don't even really have Moby Dick until the very end anyway. There is an insane amount about the anatomy of whales and the history of the whaling industry, but it really is unnecessary. It just had chapters that read very textbook to me instead of novel, to the point where I started wondering if I was going to be tested at the end about what I learned about whales and whaling.

I will always remember my experience with this book, but I am not likely to ever read it again.

Sunday, October 4, 2015

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

How can one not love this last book? The darkest book in the series, it also manages to clear up some burning questions from previous books. There ends up being new feelings for characters that have been known since the beginning, but who have not really been revealed as far as their true nature is concerned.

I have found myself feeling things that I often feel while I read a great book. I get connected to certain characters who don't make it to the end (not sharing who doesn't make it) and find myself crying over their loss.

I think this book shows Harry finishing the maturing process that he needed to do while finding a way to defeat Voldemort once and for all. His journey isn't easy and he has to make decisions that no 17 year old should have to make. He is essentially forced to be a man when he still very much wants to be a boy like some of his friends.

I'm sad to have finished this beloved series again, but I know that, like an old friend, it will always be waiting on the shelf for me when I need it the most.