Pages

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Wuthering Heights



This was kind of an unusual book. I can't say that I loved it, but I didn't hate it either. I think I didn't love it because a majority of the characters are detestable at some point in the course of the story.

Catherine loves Heathcliff, except when she hates him. She's married to another man, but he doesn't stir her temper, so it's probably better than if she had married Heathcliff. I think that pairing would have resulted in a murder at some point.

The characters that live at Wuthering Heights are usually withdrawn and temperamental, while those residing at Thrushcross Grange are a little calmer and kinder.

Catherine dies after giving birth to a daughter, who ends up named Catherine. Young Catherine is forced by Heathcliff to marry his son Linton, who is really a sickly thing. So Heathcliff ends up with control of both Wuthering Heights and Thrushcross Grange when his son dies. He'd gotten control of Wuthering Heights from Hareton Earnshaw (the rightful owner) by mostly deceit.

I can understand why it's a classic, but I just didn't love it as much as I expected I would.

No comments:

Post a Comment