Pages

Sunday, May 25, 2014

Another Piece of My Heart


I had a bit of a love/hate relationship with this book. I loved it because, well, come on, chick lit. But it was a sweet book that had a lot of human nature in it.

Andi marries a man who is divorced and has two daughters. She desperately wants a baby of her own, but almost immediately after marrying Ethan, she begins to go through peri-menopause which makes conceiving almost impossible. The younger of Ethan's daughters, Sophia, loves her new stepmom. But the older, Emily, despises Andi for taking her father away from her. It's a serious mess because Ethan feeds into the teenagers temper tantrums and Emily knows it. Andi starts to resent her husband for not standing up for her against his daughter and for the fact that he does not seem to see how badly she wants to be a mother, not just a stepmother.

There are dramas and conflicts throughout this whole book. Ethan's ex-wife, Brooke, is an alcoholic that essentially pushed her entire family away. Emily is a toxic child who acts out for the attention she gets from her father. Then, Emily gets pregnant and this new drama causes the family to go into a tailspin.

It's a real book. The family may be fictional, but it could exist anywhere in this country. Andi has some crises that she has to work through. Ethan has to work through his relationship with Emily. And Emily really just needs to grow up.

I had some issues through it just because certain parts of the book made me roll my eyes because it was so implausible, but overall I found myself feeling for Andi as she struggled through her marriage and family, hoping that Emily would stop being a selfish brat and grow up, and hating that Ethan could be so manipulated by his child. I loved Sophia because she was so down-to-earth, and I didn't even really have a problem with Brooke. It was just another family going through the dramas that come from divorce and marriages.

No comments:

Post a Comment