Pages

Monday, February 9, 2015

The Fault in Our Stars


I liked this book. A lot. I wouldn't go so far as to say it was amazing, but it was definitely a good book. Probably helps that I finished it in like two days. But I think there was just something that was preventing me from saying that I loved the book and that it was the most amazing piece of fiction that I had read.

Hazel has cancer. Like, badly has cancer. So I went into this expecting it to be, well, a cancer kid book. I wasn't terribly wrong about that. It was a cancer kid book. But I appreciated the fact that it wasn't filled with "poor me, I have cancer, I wish I'd just die" kind of sentiments. In fact, it was a little more real than that.

Augustus kind of rubbed me the wrong way for most of the book. Something about him irked me no matter how hard I tried to like him. I honestly kind of preferred Isaac the blind kid. He went through the anger I kept expecting Hazel and Augustus to display.

It's really a kind of cute little love story with a side of tragedy tacked on. I know everyone said it was so sad and they cried like crazy, but I honestly cried a couple of tears in this book compared to the river of sobs I've had for other books.

So, while I liked the book and I can understand all it's hype, I kind of think I'd prefer something that's not over hyped like this book was.

No comments:

Post a Comment