Pages

Friday, May 10, 2013

Babyville

I must say, I enjoyed Babyville much more than I liked Jemima J. Same author, but this story was a lot more enjoyable and less anger inducing.

I think part of the reason I liked this book was because I saw so much of me in each of the three main women.

First, Julia. She has been with her boyfriend Mark for four years and they decide to try for a baby. Not the best idea since their relationship is a miserable one. But they try anyway. There's just a problem. They can't get pregnant. Julia tries everything. Nothing works. I relate to this because I've done the try everything method just to have it fail miserable.

Second is Maeve. Maeve effectively takes over Julia's role in, well, everything. She fills in for her job when Julia goes on leave since she became so baby-obsessed that she stopped doing her job. But, she also kind of takes over Julia's role as Mark's girlfriend. Yeah. That's an interesting story line. Mark was supposed to just be a one-night stand. But Maeve got pregnant off that one-night stand. She initially says she'll have an abortion but Mark convinces her otherwise and one thing leads to another.

Third is Sam. Sam is a new mom. She's obviously dealing with postpartum depression. She hates her life, her marriage, her husband. Everything except her son. I can totally relate. I had those same feelings after my first child. Sam soon finds herself falling for another woman's husband, convinced that her marriage is over and this man is who she is meant to be with. She has full fantasies about it. Eventually she discovers the dirty truth about this man and manages to find her way out of the PPD fog to appreciate her husband again.

So, right now I'm at 50/50 with Jane Green books. I think I need to read more just to get a clear impression of her.

No comments:

Post a Comment