Pages

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Beowulf


Ok. I'll admit this right now. I did not get this. I tried. I focused on the story, I read the entire thing (which was quite a feat since it was the third time it was assigned to me). I just did not get it.

I don't know exactly what tripped me up. Probably the language. Even translated, it has a style that is completely foreign to me. The story was a little not my style too. Totally what I'd describe as a man story. Battles, swordplay, just general mannish story-telling. Women had a super small and rather superficial role, so I think that might have been another reason I struggled with this story. No characters I could connect with and help me put myself into the story.

Anyway. Who knows if I'll try this one again or if I'll just chalk it up to not my style.

No comments:

Post a Comment