Pages

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Shakespeare's Sonnets

Ugh. What a nightmare. Going through all of Shakespeare's Sonnets is a bit of a headache. Don't get me wrong, there are some great and memorable sonnets in there. But to sit and read through all 154 sonnets and try to understand them just wasn't happening. I struggled. A lot.

I'll probably never sit and read through the sonnets again, and I only did it now because I had to. I gave it a three star review on Goodreads because there are some great sonnets in there. Sonnet 18 for example is probably his most well known (Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?).

I think my biggest problem was how disjointed they felt. Each sonnet is 14 lines long, but multiple sonnets conveyed a single thought pattern. It's hard to keep things straight when you're not feeling very clear about it. I just didn't enjoy reading them that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment