Pages

Saturday, January 4, 2014

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz


New series to read to the preschooler. I've always meant to read the Oz series, but I just never got around to it. Now that I have a child who I read to at night, I'm able to share the joy with her.

Now, the first thing to mention is that this book is similar but very different from the movie. I admit I went in expecting it to be a lot like it, but I was kind of wrong.

Dorothy Gale is caught in a cyclone in Kansas and sets down in a land that is so very different from the grey land she has been used to. She meets the Witch of the North (who is NOT Glinda) and goes on a journey to meet the Wizard of Oz so that she can return to Kansas and her Aunt Em and Uncle Henry. On the way she meets a talking Scarecrow who wants a brain, a Tin Woodman who wants a heart, and a Cowardly Lion who wants some courage.

Now, the basic premise of the book is reflected in the movie, but Dorothy is wearing silver shoes, not ruby slippers. The flying monkeys aren't completely devoted to the Wicked Witch of the West. Glinda is the good witch of the south, not the north.

But, overall, it's a very fun book. It's great for a growing imagination and I enjoyed the story itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment