Pages

Friday, July 31, 2015

The Count of Monte Cristo

This is like the epitome of revenge books. I'd never really known that about the story (mostly because I'd never read any part of it or even seen any of the movies based on the book). But a huge chunk of the story is the revenge that Edmond Dantes inflicts upon the three people who condemned him to 14 years in a dungeon of an island fortress for absolutely no reason.

While it took a while for me to get through, mostly due to craziness that limited my reading for a while, it's one of those books that, if you can power through, reveals some interesting details about human life in general. It's a timeless book that I hope never fades into obscurity. It is a powerful book and I appreciate that I took the time to read the unabridged version as opposed to an abridged copy that would have eliminated some parts that may seem pointless to the story, but which, in the end, truly have a purpose in the grand scheme of the story of Edmond Dantes and his personal revenge against Villefort, Danglars, and Fernand. Along the way he makes friends, he makes enemies. But in the end, he does what he feels is right to essentially return the favor to three (even four) people who he feels wronged him and stole his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment