Pages

Thursday, August 6, 2015

The Golem and the Jinni

It took me a while to warm up to this book. I liked it from the beginning, but it really wasn't until about halfway through the book that I started to really enjoy it.

I think it took me a while because it needed the chemistry between the two disparate main characters - Chava, the Golem and Ahmad, the Jinni. They're so different, but at the same time, they have similar stories. Both of them find themselves in New York, out of their element. The Golem is a clay woman, created for a man who dies on the passage to America. The Jinni comes out of a copper flask that a metalsmith is tasked with repairing. Neither of them really belongs in New York, but both of them have to find some way to survive.

The story has some interesting plot twists and characters that are necessary for the development of Chava and Ahmad.

No comments:

Post a Comment