Pages

Thursday, July 4, 2013

Dear Mr. Darcy


I'm a fan of Pride and Prejudice as it is, so reading a retelling of the story is something that I enjoy.

This book is written as a series of letters between various characters from Pride and Prejudice, with a few additions that are necessary to truly tell the story.

I do feel that some of my favorite parts of the original story were left out or changed in such a way that I had some reservations, but overall, it was a very enjoyable read.

I think I particularly enjoyed the way that the author expounded on Mr. Darcy's character. In Jane Austen's novel, Mr. Darcy was an enigma. He was proud. But, in Dear Mr. Darcy, you start see how he struggled with his feelings for Elizabeth long before he expressed them to her. He tries to talk himself out of those feelings, but we all know how that ended. I just really liked getting insights on other characters than just Elizabeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment