Pages

Monday, July 22, 2013

The Hunchback of Notre-Dame


I wasn't a huge fan of this book. It was long, which normally isn't a problem, but a majority of that length is stuff that really isn't pertinent to the story. If I could, I would cut about a third of the book out. Particularly the parts that are all about the architecture of Paris and the layout. It's not really something that the book needs and it takes up several full chapters.

That being said, this is nothing like the Disney movie. Yes, up to now, that was my experience with The Hunchback of Notre-Dame. But this story is definitely not child friendly. There is no happily ever after ending. It is a raw, gritty tale about a deformed man, a crazy archdeacon, a captain of the guard, and a gypsy girl. There is love, betrayal, pain, fear, and even humor.

If it had been edited down to take out all the frivolous nonsense, it would have been a great book. I did like it, but I probably won't read it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment