Pages

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Twilight


Yes, I read Twilight (for like the fourth time). I know it gets some seriously bad press - bad writing, bad character development, bad plot, etc - but let's look at it for what it is: a teenage paranormal romance novel. And as a teenage romance novel, it's not that bad. Yes, the writing is sub-par and the characters are rather one dimensional. But if you consider the target audience - teenage girls - it's ok.

Bella is a typical teenage girl. That's why this book is so popular. Do I think this should be used to accurately depict how love is supposed to be? Absolutely not. In fact, I think it should be used to show how love should be at all. But it's a romance novel. When is the romance in any romance novel realistic? This book is no different than adult romance novels, except that it has writing that is a little worse.

Take this book for what it is - a time to completely check out from real life. I don't like this book because it's an amazing story or a great piece of writing. I like it because I don't have to worry about deep issues. I needed this series after reading the Hunger Games. I needed to transition to something sort of fluffy after reading something so deep.

So, yes, there's all that bad press, but try reading this book by letting your inner teenage girl out, and you might actually enjoy it. I know I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment